Nicholas Gibson is an associate attorney at National Litigation Law Group. An Albuquerque native and proud University of New Mexico School of Law graduate, Nick has a passion for advocating for his fellow New Mexico clients. His extensive experience brings exceptional and competent experience to all his clients. Before joining NLLG, Nick received his law degree from the University of New Mexico School of Law in 2015. Nick became a successful attorney working for Fidelity Investments where he negotiated complex corporate contracts ranging from $500 million to $700 million. After leaving Fidelity Investments, Nick was hired at the Second Judicial District Attorney’s office as a prosecutor for felony criminal cases and was quickly promoted to senior trial attorney in the Major Crimes Unit prosecuting homicides and other serious violent offenses. Nick then joined NLLG where he defends clients from creditor lawsuits. Through experience, Nick developed exceptional leadership, advocacy and analytical skills. Nick applies these skills towards advocating for all his clients to ensure their interests are protected and the best possible outcome is reached. For Nick, advocating for clients and assisting them in becoming debt-free is the best part of his job. When Nick is not working, he enjoys golfing and football.
Second Judicial District Attorney’s Office – Albuquerque, NM
- Represented the State of New Mexico as lead counsel in 37 felony jury trials.
- Achieved promotion to the Major Crimes Division in under 1 year at the DA’s Office.
- Assigned high-profile, serious violent crime cases including homicides, rapes, shootings, kidnappings, and armed robberies.
- Worked independently managing large and diverse caseloads.
- Conducted complex investigations by reviewing law enforcement investigations, examining evidence, and interviewing witnesses.
- Researched, drafted, and argued motions regarding discovery, evidentiary, and procedural issues.
Fidelity Investments – Albuquerque, NM
- Negotiated and drafted agreements and amendments for clients with 200 million+ in assets.
- Negotiated various terms and conditions including fee and pricing structures, services provided, indemnification, governing law, venue, and fiduciary duty provisions.
- Independently advised business partners on all contractual-related questions and conduct risk management.
- Analyzed new international data privacy laws and regulations and produced a compliance plan of action for senior management.
Peacock Myers, P.C. – Albuquerque, NM
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications, patent opinions (validity, infringement, right to use, patentability), and trademark applications.
- Drafted and negotiated ownership, disclosure, and licensing agreements.
- Reviewed and advised clients on intellectual property protection and licensing issues.
- Assisted in complex intellectual property litigation through discovery, trial and extensive client/expert contact.
- Produced appeal briefs and responses to the United States Patent and Trademark Office actions.
New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions – Albuquerque, NM
- Drafted motions and argued in state district court on behalf of NMDWS.
- Advised on NMDWS’ appeals at board of review hearings.
- Prepared arguments to support agency decisions regarding unemployment compensation eligibility.
- Drafted portions of two petitions for writ of certiorari to the NM Supreme Court which were granted for review.
- Revised portions of NMDWS’ precedent manual.
- Analyzed legislation regarding unemployment compensation eligibility for executive government advisory positions.
PREVIOUS PRACTICE AREAS:
Civil and Consumer Litigation
Intellectual Property Law
University of New Mexico School of Law, J.D., 2015
- Top 15% of Class
- Dean’s List: 2014, 2015; Honor Roll – 2013
University of New Mexico, B.A. (Criminology and Mathematics), 2011
- Graduated Cum Laude
- Dean’s List – 2008, 2010, 2011
HONORS & AWARDS:
- Intellectual Property Matters, President: 2014 – 2015
- Business Law Society, President: 2015
- UNM School of Law International Programs Committee
- Awards: ABA/BNA Award Recognizing Excellence in Employment and Labor Law
- State Forms Committee Member for Real Estate Association of New Mexico (RANM) – 2018 – 2019
- Governance Committee Member for Commercial Association of Realtors New Mexico (CARNM) – 2018 – 2019
- Forms Committee Member for Commercial Association of Realtors New Mexico (CARNM) – 2018 – 2019
- Technology Committee Member for New Mexico Multiple Listing Service (SWMLS) – 2018 – 2019
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) – Attended the National Session in Boulder, CO from July 19, 2017 – July 27, 2017. Two-week advance trial training program focusing on mastering trial skills through learning-by-doing method. Practiced and perfected trial skills in the art of persuasion and trial advocacy. http://www.nita.org.
- High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) Grant, Member – One of three prosecutors on the HIDTA grant program. HIDTA was created by Congress and aids law enforcement agencies operating in areas determined to be critical drug-trafficking regions of the United States. https://www.dea.gov/ops/hidtashtml.
- NM Law-La-Palooza – 2014 – 2019: Pro-Bono legal fair providing free legal consultations to low income individuals.
- State Bar of New Mexico – Mentorship Program
LEGAL ASSISTANT: Amber Ulrich
PARALEGAL: Sheila Loveless